Wednesday, December 10, 2014

Unexpected


I walked out into my yard and amongst all the desert landscape there was 1 single beautiful rose.   I love it when I run into unexpected beauty.   It amazes me and it helps me remember to look for the beauty in everything because when we are looking we will always find it.

My neighborhood is beautiful.   I never get tired of walking down the street.  There are always flowers blooming, birds overhead, and cactus flowers that amaze me.   I love to walk down the street and think about each of my neighbors.   Some of them I know and others keep so much to themselves that I hardly ever see them.  I love to imagine what each of their lives are inside their homes.

Grace, Eli, and I walk down to the mailbox most days.  Walking and looking for that unexpected beauty.   I find it in my son, in his laughter.  The one who is my most unexpectedly beautiful.  The one who is so unlike me and hard for me to understand.

As I was standing beside the row of mailboxes looking through the junk mail I hear a quiet soft laughter coming from inside the mailboxes.


I looked at Grace who had a big smile on her face and I turned around to find Eli.   He wasn't on the street.   "mommy, mommy"  I hear.




Someone had unexpectedly crawled into the mailbox and laughed and laughed.  I had found him and his pure joy was contagious.

Now, everyday when we walk down to the mailbox we get to crawl inside and laugh and laugh.

On Saturday morning we decide to jump on our bikes and head to the park.    Never knowing what to expect but, feeling so lucky that we live in such a beautiful place where we can ride our bikes and enjoy being outside.


Someone didn't quite make it all the way there and needed a morning nap.


Brothers.   Brothers that are sometimes so close that I consider them one person.   You know, "the boys".   "The boys" are inseparable most of the time and love to do the same things whether it is throwing a football, baseball, or tormenting their little brother, Eli.


And, sometimes, Daddy unexpectedly climbs up on the top of the slide and encourages you down.


And, when we are a little scared and need some help down the slide it's also so nice when a big brother will unexpectedly go with you.




No comments:

Post a Comment