Friday, September 7, 2012

Expectant

I sit in the dark.  The glow of the computer screen as my light.  All my boys asleep upstairs.  Their gentle snoring assuring me that my day is done.

I sit here and my back aches.  I stretch forward to get the kinks out.  I feel every sensation.  My skin stretching, my baby kicking, my breath going in and out.

I think about the baby girl inside.  I try and picture her.  What she will look like?  Who will she become?  How will my family change when she arrives? I know her time to emerge is coming soon.

Then wishing it would last longer.....this pregnancy.  I only wish this for selfish reasons.  You see, her every need is met in this moment.  After she is born, I will not be able to meet all her needs.  There will be late nights, early mornings, and the "witching hour" in which she will cry and I won't know the reason.  I will rock her, and sing to her, and hold her.  I will become frustrated and we will both fight back our tears.  And, as she grows....so will I.

I will learn to manage 4 instead of 3.  It will be an uphill climb.  There will be moments when I will want to quit.  But, I know in the struggle I will learn to manage.  We will all manage, as a family, each in our own way. 

Tonight as I feel the fullness of my pregnancy, I know how blessed I am.  I am expectant.  I am thankful.  Waiting each day for a little girl who will change all of us in ways we can't even imagine.

1 comment:

  1. Kris, this is beautiful! I remember well that feeling - such a bittersweet one. Thank you for your sweet comment on my latest post; I, too, wish we lived closer so we could spend more time together. It sounds like we would have much to share! I think of you often - take good care of yourself in the last weeks of your pregnancy :)

    ReplyDelete