Tuesday, December 18, 2012

What really matters

Cleaning up the kitchen.  Adding a few dishes to the dishwasher, wiping down the counter tops.  My phone rings.  The recording informs me that Hunters Glen Elementary is on lock down as a result of the recent events in Connecticut.   I am confused.  My radio and TV have been silent all day so I am out of touch with the world.  I call Bryan to ask him what happened.  Hearing the news....20 children have died in an elementary school....makes my heart drop.  

As I walk to the school to get the boys I notice that the streets are packed.   More parents then usual are on their way to pick up their children.  All of them with the same heavy hearts.  Anxious to see their children's faces.  They hold them a little extra long after they run out of their classrooms.

As I walk through the next several days hearing bits and pieces of what happened, I realize how thankful I am for all the little things.  All the little things that drove me crazy a few days ago have suddenly turned into blessings. 

I find myself thankful to hear Grace's cries in the middle of the night.



I am thankful for a child who is always upside down.  Even when I am trying to have a serious conversation with him....he is upside down.


I am thankful for a little boy, who loves to practice his letters on my Nook.  All day if I would allow him.  


I am thankful for two little boys who come running out of the bathroom looking like lions.  I decide to be thankful for the mess.

And, I stop to pray for the mommies in Conneticut who are living their worst nightmare.  I pray for them, not even knowing how to pray.  Just lifting them up and giving them to God.  I pray for our country and for the evil that surrounds us everyday. I pray and I hold my children a little tighter suddenly realizing what really matters.

No comments:

Post a Comment