Thursday, November 18, 2010

bright orange

Hunting.  It means to chase or search for (game or other wild animals) for the purpose of catching or killing.  Before I married a Dahl, I didn't truly understand the meaning of the word.  After 7 years of marriage, I am just starting to understand what it means to be a hunter.

Gabe has helped me appreciate hunting as a sport and a way of life.  His passion amazes me. This little boy loves hunting.  He is a Dahl through and through.  Nothing excites him more then getting up super early to go out hunting with his Dad and Gramps.  While I am still laying in bed barely opening an eye, Gabe is jumping around getting all his hunting clothes together for the day.  Nobody has to wake him up, nobody has to ask him 3 or 4 times to get dressed, nobody has to nag him about anything.  He jumps out of bed and is ready to go.  At 4:30 no less. 

Over the weekend, we went to Spearfish, SD, deer hunting.  We arrived late on Friday night and early Sat. morning the boys went out to hunt.  Gabe was up and ready to go and I hate to admit it but he didn't take off his hunting clothes the entire 3 days.  Yep, he slept in them and everything. The boys left at 5:00 every morning and I didn't see them until it got dark.  Gabe loved every moment.  On Sunday night when his dad carried him in the house at 6:00 he was so exhausted he went straight to bed.  And, he was up and ready again on Monday.  Crazy kid. 

I shouldn't leave Owen out of this story either.  Owen hunted for two of the three days.  He also loves going hunting with his Dad and Gramps.  I suspect one of the best parts of hunting for Owen is the donuts.  I'm not sure how many donuts he ate over those two days because I was afraid to ask. 

While the boys are out hunting, Eli, Grammy, and I got to spend some time together.  Eli had a great time climbing up and down the stairs. This is his new favorite thing to do.  Boy, will I be glad when the stair stage is over.  Until then, I will be perched on the stairs making sure he doesn't fall.

This is a picture of Gabe's cousin Jade and his deer.

No comments:

Post a Comment