Thursday, January 20, 2011

Growing pains

Today is a day of change.  A big step.  An exciting day.  A day to be a little sad and wonder where the time has gone.  A day to reflect on my little baby boy.

As of today, Eli will no longer be nursing. It is time to be a big boy and drink out of a sippy cup.   He is not very happy about it and a little grouchy but, I know that it is time to move onward and upward.  Time to start new things.

Life is about change.  We are always changing, always growing no matter what age we are. You just notice the changes so much more when you have little ones to watch. The hard part is being torn between the past and the present.  I can't ever go back to when Eli depended on me for everything including his nourishment. You see, when I close my eyes and remember him and I rocking, cuddling, and nursing, I feel a pain of sadness.  I will long for a time when I was the world to him and he would look up at me with those big brown eyes and smile between his little swallows.  And yet, there is so much to look forward to. I can't wait to watch him grow into a little boy. I look forward to spending everyday with him, learning, exploring, and growing.  So, today, when Eli falls down because he is learning to walk, I will pick him up and cuddle him while he cries.  And, when I look into those big eyes and he smiles I will know that I still mean the world to him just in a different way.  And, I will embrace the present moment and move past my sadness.

No comments:

Post a Comment