Thursday, April 28, 2011

My mountain road




I have started seeing my life as a journey (as I have said before). Today, I am on a curvy mountainous dirt road.  I can't see very far ahead to know exactly where I will be next and there are times that it is impossible to look back and know where I have been.   But, most importantly, I have to stay focused on the present moment because I may miss the next turn or drive right off the road.  Oh, and did I mention the hills?  Those big, steep hills that keep going up and up and up.  They exhaust me and sometimes I don't feel like I will ever make it to the top. There are times that  I am tempted to just quit but I know that I have to keep going otherwise I will slide all the way to the bottom again.  This journey takes strength, patience, and perseverance.



Tonight, on my journey, I reached the top of a hill.  I reached the top of the hill and stopped and gazed out over the view of my life for just a moment.  I looked back over my windey road, that road that I have been traveling, and I was amazed at all the progress that I made.  I was amazed to see where this journey has taken me and how far that I have come.   I sat on that mountain top and smiled to myself and all that I am today.  I felt an unexplainable joy of accomplishment and contentment.  I stayed on the path, I continued step by step up that hill, and I made it to the top.



Now, I am ready for the next big hill.  I am ready to keep persevering down this road not knowing where I am going or how long I will take to get there.   I just have faith that I am on the right road and headed in the right direction.  And, I am determined to enjoy each part of this journey.   To stop at each mountain top, look back over where I have been, and keep going with thankfulness and faith.  To take a deep breath and take all that I have learned with me while looking forward to the journey ahead.  The anticipation of the journey fills me with unexplained excitement because I know I can just let go, put one foot in front of the other, and continue traveling into the unknown.  What a amazing life I lead.

A Psalm of David.  Psalm 25:4-8
Show me the right path, O Lord;
point out the road for me to follow.
Lead me by your truth and teach me,
for you are the God who saves me.
All day long I put my hope in you.








No comments:

Post a Comment