Monday, April 16, 2012

Just a Monday

Our days fly by.  I am always amazed when 6:00 rolls around and we are ready to settle down at the dinner table.  As I placed the lasagna on the table, I started thinking about my day and all we did.

Even though you can't see the changes happening in our family....I sure can feel them.  As my alarm goes off at 6:00, I have a hard time rising.  Me and this new little one really want a few more hours of sleep.  But, as I put my feet on the floor, I can hear Gabriel's footstep's running down the stairs.  Oh, how jealous I am that he is such a morning person.  He comes over to me and tells me he loves me.  I cherish this sweet moment in the dark, just the two of us.  Then, he is off to take a bath, and me to make his breakfast.

With breakfast on the table and Gabriel dressed and ready for school, I start to plan my day.  Laundry, cleaning, and a friend coming over this morning to bring me dinner.  Isn't that sweet.  She knows that I'm not feeling well and has sacrificed herself to bring me a meal.  I can not express the gratitude that I feel for such a gesture on this day!

Owen creeps down the stairs and runs into my arms.  I set him on the counter and start getting his breakfast ready.  Time for Gabriel to run out the door.  A blessing and prayer over him and my 1st grader is gone.   Gone but, a sense of pride fills me.  He is such a wonderful young man!

Owen finishes breakfast and we wait to hear Eli's little voice yelling "Get out, mommy".  We don't hear it so, we grab our books and read.  Mercer Meyer, Serendipity books, and Dr. Suess.  We snuggle in close and get lost in the stories. 

Eli seems to be sleeping in today.  I let him sleep and get myself ready.  I cherish 20 minutes in a bubble bath until I hear little Eli calling for me.  I get him breakfast and we head out the door to take Owen to preschool.

Owen returns from preschool at 12:00.  So, I use this time to clean up from breakfast, do a few loads of laundry, and read books to Eli.  Eli and I read his seek and slide books and we work on his letters, which is his favorite thing to do.  Time flies and we have to run and get Owen.

Lunch is then on the agenda and after lunch we sit down together to watch The Letter Factory.  This is Owen and Eli's favorite little movie.

And, I just love how Eli sticks his tongue out because he is concentrating so much.  What is going through his little head?

I lay down with the boys and don't last very long.

Soon, I am fast asleep.  This baby needs to grow and I need to rest!  The boys finish their movie and start playing a game and let me rest.  It's such a blessing.  Again, time flies and it is time to go and get Gabriel from school.  A beautiful walk down the street does everyone good as I wake up and the boys and I are in the fresh air.

The boys come home and play outside most of the afternoon.  They make a river in the gutter complete with several dams and a small pond.  Eli is playing with them until he sees the neighbor kids playing basketball next door and he is mesmerized.  He spends the next two hours playing basketball with our neighbor kids who are 16 and 14.  They are so sweet to him.  They lower the net and lift him up so he can make a basket every once in awhile.

After basketball it's time to come in.  Chores are done and we sit down to play a game and have snack.





I just love these little fingers working so hard to make patterns in the Connect 4 game.  Watching the kids play together, take turns, and concentrate makes me smile.

Where has the day gone?  Daddy will be home in a few minutes.  As we clear the table and get ready for dinner I only wish we had more time.  More time to play, more time to read together, more time lay on the floor while mommy takes a nap.  And, my only solace is that I get to do it all over again tomorrow.  What could be better then that?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like a great day! It doesn't seem like we fit as much in between school and dinner around here. I'm impressed with their activity and cooperation! What a blessing for you sweet mama.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is funny how some days fly by and then there are the ones that you can't wait for bed time! Glad you had a day to cherish your sweet little boys.

    ReplyDelete