Friday, June 3, 2016

hot summer day

Summer is here.    The kids and I are adjusting to that new summer schedule.   The one where we are together all day long and I try and organize times for activities because without some type of schedule the hot summer days can seem endless.

I love these days with my children.    I love spending hours with them everyday.   It drives me crazy but I love it.   I know my time with them is short and soon they will be out changing the world and I won't get a chance to give them my morning hug.   I won't have the chance to cook them three meals a day and order them around while we are doing our daily chores.    The days are long and endless.....the years slip by so very fast.

Today we packed a lunch and headed to the pool.    We hurried and rushed to get there and it was so hot.    113 today.   We all jumped into the pool so we could bear that intense heat that beats down on you burning your feet and causing your head to spin.

The boys found a ball and threw it back and forth.   They splashed and found some friends to play with.   Eli swam to the bottom of the pool and played with his Paw Patrol toy.   Grace stayed close to me and swam in the shallow section.   She's not ready to let go yet.   We strapped on her floatie and she bobbed around in the water like a top.     Theresa and I talked mom talk.   We didn't solve any problems but we had each other and we spoke our truth.   It was a hot fun morning and by noon it was time to go home.

The cool house was the most welcome sight that I felt all day.    We were tired from our morning and spend the afternoon snuggled up on the couch.    

My favorite routine lately has been our Friday night grocery shopping.    Taking all the kids and giving them a list.   They have been picking out their own food and I can see the empowerment in their eyes.   I have found a freedom in giving up control and allowing them to make their own decisions.   This is something that I should have done a long time ago but I am so glad I am doing it now.    It is a blessing.   The best thing about today.

No I take that back.   The best part of the day was the part when Daddy threw the boys into the pool and we were all floating out there in the dark.   We laughed and played and splashed and let time stop.   We spent time together.   All 6 of us and just let the minutes pass as we enjoyed each other and each moment.

All I can think as I head to my bedroom is thank you.  Thank you for this day.   This day in the hot sun and the time we have been given.   Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment