Friday, January 6, 2012

morning routine

Christmas break is over and we are back into our routine.  It hasn't been a seamless adjustment but I have welcomed getting back into our schedule.  No more staying up late, no more sleeping in, no more staying in our pajamas if we feel like it.

I stumble out of bed early, before the kids get up.  I pull on my tennis shoes, grab Bridger's leash, and put a coat over my pajamas.  Bridger and I walk down to the lake.  Some mornings we run.  Some mornings we just walk.   The lake is beautiful in the mornings and I am able to let Bridger off the leash.  It's a time to be in prayer and prepare for my day.

When we get home, the house is starting to stir.  Gabe is awake and waiting for me.  He goes downstairs to grab a few minutes of TV before while I make breakfast.  I hear footsteps on the stairs as I'm making breakfast. My Owen is awake.  He always welcomes me with a hug and that huge Owen smile.

Breakfast gets eaten, Gabe is dressed and ready for his day.  He leaves the house at 7:45.  Now it is that special part of the day for me and Owen.  The time right after Gabe leaves and Eli wakes up.  We have a few moments, just the two of us.  Sometimes we play an imagination game, sometimes we read, and sometimes he sits with me in the kitchen.  All the while we listen for Eli's little voice.

Owen can't wait to go upstairs into Eli's room after he wakes up.  He waits very patiently for his brother to wake up and always has a game ready for him to play after he comes downstairs.  But, before Eli can come downstairs the boys have a jumping party in Eli's bed.  They jump and jump and jump and jump, until I make them get out.  It is quite the morning workout!




Our mornings are always hectic.  Hectic in a good way.  A blessed way.  I can't imagine my morning any other way.


1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a great morning routine...and time for that morning walk sounds like a perfect way to start!

    ReplyDelete