Thursday, February 9, 2012

My Things

Flowers from the boys

Today, I read back over my journal from last year at this time.  Wow, thankfulness and joy has filled my heart.  As I was reading, I pictured myself in our condo surrounded by someone else's things.  Today, as I sit in OUR house surrounded by OUR things, I can't tell you how thankful I am.  

I know that "things" don't matter as much as love and relationships but, I am here to tell you after being 1 whole year without any of our things, they do matter.  Being surrounded by our things makes this house our home.  Each piece of furniture, each knick knack has a story.  Our story.

I am thankful for 3 little beds that my children have.  I am thankful for my own dishes and appliances.  I am thankful for my rocking chair and beautiful throw that draws me in every night.  I am thankful for my pictures.  I am thankful for all the toys that entertain my children for hours.  I am thankful for my laundry baskets that help me carry laundry up and down the stairs.  The list just goes on and on.

I snapped a few pictures of some of my favorite things.  Things that just make my heart sing with thankfulness.  Things I can look at and just smile because they are my favorite.

A picture from my childhood room

A cross made by Eli in Sunday school

Great Grandma's plates.  I get to change them depending on the holiday

My crosses

Kissy people that I bought in Peru

A fish picture given to Bryan and I at our wedding

A rock carving I purchased in Ecuador

My grandfather's picture.  I didn't know him but, this picture tells me a lot about him
Our mantel clock from Great Grandma and Grandpa

A wine rack that Bryan picked out for our new house


A picture of two beautiful girls that melts my heart!

These are the things that made me sing with praises today.  Things that make this house truly my home.  Things that I love.  There is no place like home.  A place you make your own.  A place you write your story.  A sanctuary all your own.

3 comments:

  1. Kris, if you are interested, there is a link up for favorite things on Thursdays...if you are wanting to create a little more traffic here, that is. It's here: http://katherinescorner.com/

    Glad you are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm new here (just clicked over from Favorite Things!), so I don't know your backstory, but I love the fact that you enjoy your things even more so now that you know what it's like to do without them.

    That's kinda how I feel when I open up the Christmas decorations each year -- like I've found some long hidden treasures.

    It's the little things, isn't it? :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful! Your condo is truly a home. Thank you for linking up to the Thursday Favorite Things blog hop linky party. Sending Happy Weekend Wishes! .xo

    ReplyDelete