Thursday, May 16, 2013

A little independence

One of my favorite parts of being a mom is watching my kiddos learn something new.  To watch them gain a new found freedom.  I love that little gleam in their eyes that says "I did it, mom".  And, the selfish side of me loves it when my kiddos learn something new because it means that I don't have to do it for them.

For example, every time Eli climbed on his brothers bunk bed he would scream for me to come get him down.  He just couldn't get down the ladder by himself.  So, I would run upstairs and lift him down.  Well, not anymore!  Now he can do it himself.  And, boy is he PROUD. 



He was so proud that he climbed up and down the ladder a total of 50 times one morning.  50 times!  No exaggeration.  He was so happy to learn this new skill and wanted to relive that moment over and over.



And, I was quite happy to watch him complete this task over and over.  While he was busy learning to climb the ladder, I was setting up his new little bed.  And, with the bed complete, Eli is taking another big step into childhood.  No more crib.  He is a big boy now.  He gets to sleep with his brothers in his big boy bed. 

And, here is our big boy.  So proud of his little bed.


After all our hard work up in the bedroom we run downstairs to make lunch for our Kindegardner before he runs off to school.  So cute!  I'm so glad that Owen is still home with us in the mornings!



2 comments:

  1. I think my very favorite newly acquired skill for a kid is the one in which he learns to sleep through the night. Ha! (I'm soooo tired!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Brandee....me too! Grace is still getting up at night and I'm exhausted also. I keep telling myself...just a few more months. I will pray for both baby Chip and little Grace to start sleeping. ALL NIGHT LONG.

    ReplyDelete