Sunday, May 19, 2013

My goal

I read an article the other day that talked to several young adults about their mothers.  It asked them the simple question:  What is one thing you remember about your mother?

Most of the answers were:  kindness, sacrifice, love.   Yes, as mothers, we give all these things.

But, I really started to think about this question.  What is the one thing I want my children to remember about me? 

I certainly don't want them to remember the yelling and nagging that I tend to do everyday.  I don't want them to remember all the hurrying we did to get to one place or another.  I don't want them to remember me bent over a bathtub scrubbing or folding a load of laundry.  What did I really want them to remember?

It has taken me several weeks to come up with my answer.  My answer is very simple. I want them to remember a mother that followed Jesus with all her heart.  Nothing more and nothing less. I want them to remember me in prayer.  I want them to remember me studying and applying God's word.  I want them to remember me singing praise songs.  I want them to remember me praying over anything and everything.

With these pictures in my mind I have shaped our house.

I study my bible in front to my children.  Most of the time it is laying in the most annoying places.  My bible has food on it and baby spit.  The pages are ripped and a 3 year old little boy wrote all over Genesis.   It is greatly loved and cherished.

I have a little stereo in my kitchen.  Every chance I get, I turn it on.  We listen to the Seeds of Family CD's.  The songs are scripture put to music.  I hear my children singing them....they have them all memorized without putting any effort into it.

I pray with my children.  Our nightly prayers are so routine for us that my children can't go to sleep without them (love that).  I have been very intentional about saying long, heartfelt prayers and pouring my heart out to Jesus.  Someday my children will be able to say them on their own.   I pray with my children when we are driving and we see people on the street or hear a siren.  We pray about school and hurt feelings and owies.   I try to be very intentional about praying.

We go to mass on Sundays.  Even though it is impossibly hard with 4 small children.   Bryan and I sometimes leave mass angry and exhausted and frustrated.  I keep going.  Someday I will see the fruit of this labor (I hope).

I read my bible to the kids.  We study children's bible stories.  We watch bible stories on You Tube and the television.   I review the Sunday scripture with my kids.  I take every opportunity to teach my kids about the Bible.  Some weeks I am more intentional then others but, it has become part of our routine.

I tell my children everyday....You are a wonderful, beautiful, child of God.  I tell them that God has a purpose for them.  A holy purpose and I can't wait to see what it will be someday.

Wednesday nights we go to church as a family.  And, this year, Gabe celebrated his First Holy Communion.  It made my heart swell even bigger as I watched him in church that day.  I am so proud of him and the commitment he made to accomplish this!  I will post pictures shortly.

And, as I close my weary eyes tonight I only pray that my children saw Jesus today.  Through me and their dad and our life.  That they are learning to have a heart for God.  And, when they remember me....it will be Jesus that they see.

No comments:

Post a Comment