Monday, February 14, 2011

Where I saw love

The day of love.  

Today as I walked in the grocery store, I felt the excitement of the holiday.   As I pushed Eli and Owen in the cart, I let the excitment take over.  We put our shopping on hold and browsed over to the "Valentine" aisle.  We first went and looked at all the red shiny heart balloons.  Then,we then stopped at the flower section and looked at all the different kinds of flowers.  As I was standing in front of the flowers, I noticed all the men around me.  It put a smile on my face as I imagined the happiness these flowers would bring their girlfriends and wives.  One man in particular caught my attention.  Very large with a long beard and motorcycle jacket.   Most of the time, he would have seemed intimidating.  Today, as he was holding a dozen yellow roses, he didn't intimidate me.  He reminded me what love is about.
 
Love is patient, love is kind and is not jealous; love does not brag and is not arrogant, does not act unbecomingly; it does not seek its own, is not provoked, does not take into account a wrong suffered, does not rejoice in unrighteousness, but rejoices with the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails.  1 Corinthians 13:4 (New American Standard Bible)

Today, I saw love in a grocery store where I never expected to see love.  Today I saw love in people that I will never know or see again.   And after standing in that flower aisle, I completely changed my mind about Valentines day, flowers, and candy. If this was just an ordinary day, people wouldn't be spending the extra time and money on their loved ones.  It's not just an ordinary day.  It's Valentines day.  A day  that we show love to our family and friends.  Just as Jesus commanded, to love one another.

No comments:

Post a Comment